International search underway for driver in Barcelona attack

23 Août, 2017, 07:06 | Auteur: Phil Beauvilliers

The attacks, both claimed by the Islamic State group, left 13 people dead in Barcelona and one woman dead in Cambrils.

Investigators have opened a criminal probe into attempted murder, not terrorism, with the Investigative Committee's chief Alexander Bastrykin taking the case under his personal control.

This is a reminder of the difficult situation Spain now finds itself facing.

Es Satty's flatmate in Ripoll reportedly saw the cleric earlier this week. But in the last two years, the extremist group has steadily lost ground in its self-declared caliphate in Iraq and Syria. "No one could have imagined he'd be involved in something like this".

"We can say that the terrorist cell in Barcelona has been completely dismantled when you consider those who are dead, those who have been arrested, and those who have been identified, but that we cannot discuss because they are subject to an ongoing investigation", Zoida said.

Everyone so far known in the cell grew up in Ripoll, a town in the Catalan foothills 100 kilometres (62 miles) north of Barcelona. The police firstly thought the driver was Moussa Oukabir, one of the terrorists gunned down in Cambrils, and later they turned their attention to Younes Abouyaaqoub.

Police are also searching for an imam missing from a mosque based in the town of Ripoll. The boys and their father, a policeman, were unhurt, he said.

In Barcelona, crowds returned Saturday to Las Ramblas, a thoroughfare that's a popular tourist destination, and street vendors were once again selling drinks and ice cream from kiosks on the Plaça de Catalunya, close to where Thursday's attack began. It was market day. Australia's S&P/ASX 200 fell 0.6 percent to 5,747.10. More traditional markets are still there too, including fresh fruit, vegetables, meat and fish - but the difference is notable.

Italian Carmen Lopardo was killed in the "vile terrorist attack in Barcelona", Italy's foreign ministry said in a statement today.

They included Moussa Oukabir, the prime suspect, and two of his childhood friends whose mug shots were put out by police.

In a news conference, interior minister Mr Zoido said the cell comprised 12 young men, many of them Moroccan, and some teenagers.

The Catalan government said that at least 13 people had died in the Barcelona attack, with 61 still receiving treatment for injuries in hospital - 17 of them in a critical condition.

Three of the men were killed in Cambrils. Six others were also injured in the attack.

ISIS remains heavily dependant on an image of defiant dynamism and a commitment to challenge the international status quo, which it claims subjugates the chosen community. Her husband and one of her sisters are injured in a hospital.

Recommande: